Oh, the sweet golden hues of my new favourite thing ever. In the whole world. Sweet, lovely turmeric milk.
I had a little run-in with cancer last year and, as a result, am drawn to all things anti-oxidant. Add to this my new Banting lifestyle and we’ve pretty much scratched cupcakes off the list. So, when I discover something rich and delicious, I either marry it (just kidding) or I stock up on all the ingredients and eat / drink it until I just can’t anymore.
Golden turmeric milk is this thing.
3 teaspoons organic turmeric
1 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon good quality coconut oil
1 tin coconut milk OR two small cups of raw / almond milk
Add the turmeric and cayenne pepper to the cold water and heat it up in a saucepan, mixing constantly until it thickens. Remove from the heat.
In a saucepan, heat the milk, coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of the turmeric paste. Do not allow to boil.
Cook for about 3 minutes.
Some recipes say that you can add a teaspoon of honey. If you’re Banting, just remember that a teaspoon is your full daily allowance of sugar.
You can drink this creamy, flavoursome nectar two or three times a day, one steaming cup after another.
Here are some of the wonderful health benefits of turmeric:
- It is a powerful anti-oxidant
- It has fantastic anti-inflammatory abilities
- Turmeric helps to digest and metabolise what we take in
- It is anti-parasitic and anti-bacterial
- This spice is known to play an important role in purifying the blood
- It helps to clear the skin of pimples, blackheads and other impurities
- Memory and brain function are improved by consuming significant amounts of cooked turmeric
Cayenne pepper also has its fair share of health and wellness benefits.
- It fights against colds and flu, and helps to combat migraines
- It has anti-fungal and anti-allergen properties
- Cayenne pepper aids in digestion
- It reduces blood clots and the associated diseases
- It relieves joint pain
- This pepper is an important part of sustained weight loss as it boosts the metabolism
- It aids in the regulation of blood pressure
- Cayenne pepper is a circulatory stimulant, and aids the lymphatic and digestive systems to work properly. So, taking it regularly will help to detox our whole body